TEL (312) 858-8189 | hsteiner@ASGlawfirm.com
Heidi has broad experience representing clients in various labor and employment matters. She is an experienced counselor and has advised many clients in strategies for avoiding labor and employment litigation. She has also successfully litigated matters for employers in state and federal courts as well as in Illinois Department of Labor, EEOC and NLRB administrative hearings.
Heidi conducts training sessions and internal investigations. She also drafts and negotiates executive employment agreements and separation releases. Heidi is also certified as a Human Resources Professional by the Human Resources Certification Institute and approaches labor and employment problems with an eye toward finding positive business solutions to client problems. Heidi also has broader litigation experience in civil rights defense, product liability, and general litigation matters.
Prior to joining ASG Law, Heidi was an associate at the law firms Schiff Hardin LLP and Altheimer & Gray.
Heidi has undertaken a number of pro bono cases, including employment and criminal matters, and representing indigent clients in divorce proceedings.
Heidi also has a strong interest in and commitment to public education. Prior to attending law school, Heidi was a teacher in the Washington D.C. public schools. In law school, she volunteered as a tutor and mentor through Chicago Youth Programs, and taught Street Law and worked with female juvenile detainees in the Cook County Juvenile Detention Center. She is currently an active volunteer at both Audubon Elementary School and Edison Regional Gifted Center, both Chicago Public Schools.
Some examples of Heidi’s work are:
- Successfully defended employers against discrimination claims brought in courts throughout the country, including the Northern District of Illinois and the Southern District of New York.
- Counsels clients in FLSA and comparable state wage-and-hour compliance, exempt versus non-exempt status, overtime regulations, and independent contractor status.
- Obtained successful settlements of potential collective action FLSA claims.
- Counsels clients in day-to-day employment related issues, termination meetings, documentation questions, policies, and procedures.
- Obtained jury verdict in favor of corporate client in a breach of contract claim brought by a former employee in the Circuit Court of Cook County.
- Represented management in hearings and mediations before various federal and state labor agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Illinois Department of Human Rights, the Illinois Department of Labor, and the National Labor Relations Board.
- Successfully enforced covenants not to compete and defended management against employment contract claims.
- Advised numerous clients in the drafting and revision of covenants not to compete, employment contracts, separation agreements, employee policies and handbooks, and affirmative action plans.
- Obtained summary judgment for municipal client in the Northern District of Illinois defeating equal protection claim relating to zoning challenges.
- Obtained jury verdicts in the Northern District of Illinois for municipal clients in excessive force cases.
- Represented manufacturers of industry-leading child products, medical products, and electronics in multiple product liability actions brought in state and federal courts across the U.S.
Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 2000
St. John’s College, M.A., 1997
American University, B.A., 1995
U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (trial bar)
Highest “AV Preeminent (5 out of 5)” Professional Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory