Art is a litigator with substantial trial and appellate experience and has represented clients for over twenty years in civil and business litigation of all kinds. These include breach of contract, tort, healthcare, real estate, condemnation, construction, product liability, employment, bankruptcy, class action, and other commercial litigation matters. Art has advised a wide variety of clients including individuals, business executives, small and midsize businesses, Fortune 500 companies, hospitals, developers, government entities, and nonprofits. He has tried cases throughout the country and represented clients in numerous domestic and international arbitrations. He also has substantial appellate experience, participating in appeals in the Seventh Circuit, the Illinois Supreme Court, the Illinois Appellate Courts, and federal and state appellate courts throughout the country.
Art has a proven track record for obtaining favorable results for his clients. He builds client loyalty and trusted relationships by developing and executing creative legal strategies that protect and advance his clients’ objectives efficiently.
After graduating from law school, Art held a judicial clerkship with the Honorable Justice Allen Hartman of the Illinois Appellate Court. He then went on to practice law for over eighteen years at one of the nation’s largest law firms (Drinker Biddle & Reath f/k/a Gardner, Carton & Douglas) where he practiced in the Commercial Litigation Group and Products Liability & Mass Tort Practice Groups. Prior to ASG Law, Art was the founder and managing member of a commercial litigation firm.
Some examples of Art’s work are:
- Obtained judgment in favor of the nation’s second largest public transportation system. This followed a two week trial in a case involving claims for more than $3 million arising out of the construction of five elevated stations and track structures.
- Successfully defended a major hospital, its officers, and individual physicians in a case involving breach of contract and tort claims brought by a surgeon whose privileges were terminated following a medical peer review.
- Represented a national home builder in obtaining dismissal of an annexation petition following a one week trial.
- Obtained a $2.5 million award of legal fees and expenses on behalf of a landowner after a local school district abandoned its condemnation of the landowner’s property.
- Successfully defended a major medical device manufacturer who was a defendant in over 500 product liability cases pending throughout the United States. This included cases consolidated in federal court for multi-district litigation.
- Served as litigation counsel to a Chapter 7 Trustee in asserting claims for fraud, commodity law, and RICO violations against a futures commission merchant and negotiating a $10 million settlement for the estate.
- Successfully argued appeals in the Illinois Supreme Court and the Illinois Appellate Court on behalf of a major retailer involved in a class action lawsuit which arose out of the retailer’s practice of collecting sales tax on shipping charges for internet purchases.
- Successfully defended hospitals in appeals relating to medical peer review, and privileging and credentialing disputes.
- Represented national higher education associations as amici curiae (friend of the court) in an appeal involving the privacy rights in student education records.
- Successfully defended State of Illinois employees in an appeal involving an alleged breach of fiduciary duties.
- Represented clients in various appeals involving Section 1983 claims, eminent domain, property disputes, and attorneys’ fees claims.
- Obtained a judgment on behalf of a major medical device manufacturer in an American Arbitration Association hearing involving a $4 million breach of contract case.
- Represented a Chicago museum in an American Arbitration Association hearing involving a capital bond financing issue.
- Represented a golf course in an international arbitration hearing held in Guangzhou, China involving breach of a construction contract.
- Represented a water reclamation district in an American Arbitration Association hearing involving construction of a $48 million wastewater treatment plant.
Arthur M. Scheller III
The John Marshall Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1993
The University of Notre Dame, B.A., cum laude, 1983
State Bar of Illinois
State Bar of Wisconsin
Northern District of Illinois
Scheller Law Group, LLC
January 2014 – September 2018
Drinker Biddle & Reath, LLP
July 1995 – December 2013
Illinois Appellate Court
August 1993- July 1995